Monday 30 August 2010

Memory Lane, such a rosy place...

I have been working on my allotment, and while working there I always have a memory rush. Today I was thinking about my favourite books. I had a vivid memory of when I first read 'The Lord of the Rings', my 'bestest' friend Maxine Esson and I were in the library at school, and she handed me a book and said' read this section it is amazing'. It was the part where Boromir is killed, and his funeral ritual was described so vividly it was breath taking. I read it and immediately went to find the other copies of the trilogy. I read it all in a few weeks, and have read it several times since, it still remains one of my favourite books.
Maxine was also responsible for the discovery of another of my favourite reads,' Nurse Matilda',by Chrstiana Brand, this was when I was about ten years old. I have asked other people about it and they look at me blankly, until Emma Thompson created Nanny Macphee, Ms Thompson cites Nurse Matilda as the inspiration for the films. Hurrah for Emma T. It is a wondrous tale of naughty, unruly children and truth and love and all the things that make a magical journey, read it yourselves oh fairest friends, I thoroughly recommend it for the child within us all xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment